Need some creative June social media ideas for 2021? Look no further. This post is jam-packed with Social Media Holidays for the month of June. We’ve got social media ideas, image ideas, video ideas, GIFs and more for you – including Canva templates!
BY DONNA MORITZ | UPDATED MAY 23, 2021
Posts on this blog may contain affiliate links, which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you if you purchase through a link.
We’ve rounded up a whole swag of popular, national and international holidays for 2021. We’ve also included crazy and unusual days of celebration for June. You’ll find 60+ different ideas in this post.
Not only do we have content calendar ideas for every day of the month, but we have weekly and monthly holidays too. And there are tools and ideas for you to return to at any time later for reference.
What Comes With our June Social Media Ideas?
Here’s what to expect in this post full of June Social Media Ideas:
- a handy quick reference guide and infographic to quickly grab social media holidays for each month.
- an overview of our June social media ideas. We’ve covered what you can create and how to share the content. This post focuses on ideas for social video but many of the ideas can be used for static images too!
- a list of cool tools and resources that will help you to create visuals for Social Media Holidays. Our Social Media Content Calendar will help you!
Tips for Creating June Content Ahead of Time (Super Quick!)
Creating content is not easy and can take time, but if you schedule some of your content ahead, by doing a few simple things, it makes it soooo much easier for you.
In fact, just a few key strategies can give you a whole month’s worth of content, created, scheduled, and ready to post, in no time at all. Here’s my tips for doing just that, especially related to creating social video:
- Use a template (it’s easier): Many of the tools I’ve mentioned below have templates as part of their features. Use the templates – they will guide you. You could spend ages creating a design, but if you’re not a designer, it could take you hours. Instead, use a design that an actual designer has already signed off on, and simply edit the template. You can edit just the text or photo or colors. Keep it simple -don’t go too crazy as then you run the risk of ruining the entire design (sorry to say this, but it’s true and that goes for me too!).
- Create in batches. If you’re going to the effort of getting into a creative space to create one video or GIF or image, why not create two videos instead? or three videos? or ten or twenty images? It’s so much easier to create a few videos in just one sitting than to do them all separately. You already have the tools open and ready to rock. Keep going and do just one more.. or a few!
- Create social video for social media – you don’t have to start out creating super long videos. 15-30 seconds is long enough for most social media platforms – up to a minute. You can progress to YouTube later.
- Create content that can be easily consumed. Try some quotes, how-to videos, handy tips or just some fun, observational humour. All of these are great for engagement with your audience. This is especially relevant on Facebook where people tend to scroll through content at a reasonable pace!
- Use GIFs to add personality to your posts. It’s fun to create your own GIFs (I’ve added tips for doing this below) or you can also use one the millions of GIFs in Giphy’s library – you can easily add GIFs to any social media post, blog post, email or message. It adds humour and personality to your story. Be sure to share directly from Giphy to give credit and views to the creator.
Here’s a quick reference guide to June Social Media Holidays in 2021, so you can share it or save it to Pinterest for later reference:
Want the full 2021 Social Media Holiday Infographic? Click here.
Tips for using this post filled with June Social Media Ideas
- Create social videos around the holiday in question – do a Top 5 list, a how-to video, behind the scenes content (related to one of the holidays), tutorials, or quote videos. Get creative with it! Is it Donut Day? Do a video about Fun Donut Facts! Use one of the video tools below.
- Create GIFs that reflect the holiday in question. Or share a GIF direct from the library in Giphy
- Create images based around the holiday in question – it could be a quote, or a meme, a saying, tip, or photo that reflects the celebration day or image with text overlay.
I’ve included some tools and tips below to help you to create June content. Let’s dive in!
I’ve included at least one “day” or holiday for every day in this June list of social media ideas and holidays. We’ve also included hashtags, tools, tips and resources for creating visual content in 2021.
Get started by using the Canva templates in this post (free for Canva Pro users). Canva Pro gives you access to thousands of videos, elements, photos and templates from a whole range of designers on the Canva Marketplace. Try it free for 45 days on this link:
1. Global Day of Parents is observed on the 1st of June every year. This day was proclaimed by the UN General Assembly in 2012 – it’s about honoring parents throughout the world for their selfless commitment to children and their lifelong sacrifice towards nurturing this relationship. Find out more here.
It’s also World Milk Day.
2. Rocky Road Day – need we say more. There’s nothing better than the eclectic mix of Rocky Road ingredients. Sweet… but moorish! #RockyRoad #RockyRoadDay.
It’s also Leave the Office Early Day. #LeaveTheOfficeEarlyDay. So pack up your computer and get outside! Or perhaps share a GIF from the TV Series, The Office to add some humour to your post.
The 1st Wednesday in June is Global Running Day #GlobalRunningDay.
3. National Egg Day #Egg Day – Celebrate with your favourite recipe containing eggs, or perhaps let loose with some egg puns!
And after having Macoron Day in May, now we have National Chocolate Macaroon Day for it’s coconut-filled sweet counterpart.
4. National Cheese Day – Break out the cheese puns! If you’re a cheese lover, today is what you’ve been training for and it’s likely a good number of people in your audience will love cheese too. So, post all the cheese things! Use #NationalCheeseDay or popular hashtags for your favourite cheese!
It’s also National Donut Day #DonutDay #NationalDonutDay. Nom nom nom – all things donuts. Today is a social media dream for content because … who doesn’t love Donuts? It’s celebrated on the first Friday of June each year.
5. Apple II Day – today is a day to celebrate the day that the Apple II computer went on sale. June 5, 1977. It was a huge 4KB of RAM (or you could upgrade to a massive 48KB). Ponder that for a moment! And, there began the legend that defined computer use for generations of fans!
Today is also Hot Air Balloon Day if you want to create some content around these graceful balloons in the sky! Definitely instagrammable! Use #HotAirBalloonDay.
And don’t forget World Environment Day. Ready for you to post all things about protecting and valuing our environment.
6. Higher Education Day #HigherEducationDay – you can post about your audience and ask them if they completed any higher education, or perhaps start a discussion about the rising costs of education, especially in the US.
It’s also National Cancer Survivor’s Day #NCSD2020 held on the first Sunday in June. This day is meant to celebrate the life of those who have survived cancer and highlighting that life after cancer diagnosis can be positive, rewarding and inspiring.
And for many around the world, it’s a time to remember the Normandy landing and D-Day held annually on the 6th of June anniversary.
7. National Chocolate Ice-Cream Day – do we need a reason? Probably not.
And for the Gen X-ers, it’s also VCR Day. Do you remember? I do… it revolutionised our TV-watching potential and experience!
8. World Ocean’s Day – #WorldOceansDay – find out how you can post about World Ocean’s Day on the official website. It’s all about ocean celebration and protection and collaboration for a better future. And it’s a great day to post your awesome beach/ocean/wave/surfing pics!
Here’s an ocean inspired quote template:
Don’t have any great ocean shots of your own? Try one of the major conservation organisations on Giphy. They have loads of GIFs that help to remind us about protecting our oceans. Like some narwhals or ocean creatures from the National Geographic Channel GIF collection.
The WWF UK also has some fun GIFs to remind us about who we are helping when we protect our oceans:
It’s also Best Friend’s Day. Celebrate friends everywhere – share a quote or a story or ask your audience to share their best friend story or tag a best friend!
9. Donald Duck Day – #DonaldDuckDay – Disney fans unite. It’s time to celebrate one of the world’s well-loved classic Disney characters. Time for a Disney quote?
It’s also Call Your Doctor Day. Let’s hope you don’t have to for anything major, but instead for a healthy check-up!
10. National Herb and Spice Day – Add a little herb and spice to your social media posts. Food bloggers and hospitality businesses, this day is made for you! #HerbandSpice. Then wash something yummy down with Iced Tea as it’s National Iced Tea day.
And it’s Ball Point Pen Day, so a post about writing, the history of the humble ball point pen (especially when we rely on technology so much!) might be fun! Or share a writing-inspired or author-inspired quote.
11. Corn on the Cob Day – June has a good share of food “days” and today is all about delicious, buttery, Corn on the Cob. #CornOnTheCobDay.
12. Superman Day – The Man of Steel has a day all for himself. DC Entertainment declared June 12 as Superman Day in 2013 to honor the creation of the world’s most famous superhero, two days before the release of the movie “Man of Steel.” The day was initially called “Man of Steel Day” but later became “Superman Day.”
If you’re a light-bodied wine person, then it’s also Red Rose Day for all things roses.
It’s also World Gin Day (held annually on the 2nd Saturday of June). So many drink celebration options!
13. Weed Your Garden Day – It could be that your audience is full of people that love gardening. Or maybe it’s time for a funny gardening post. Either way, today is #WeedYourGardenDay. Let’s be honest here, there aren’t many days of celebration on the 13th June so this is the best pick of the bunch!
14. World Blood Donor Day – Today is World Blood Donor Day #WorldBloodDonorDay. Perhaps a reminder post about donating blood would be a good thing to post today, so you can help to spread the word about something important in any country. It’s also National Bourbon Day … probably best not consumed before donating blood, just sayin’.
But it’s also International Bath Day, and that might be a good thing to indulge in after giving blood. And did you know how this day came to be? It’s believed to be the day that Archimedes (Mathematician & scientist) discovered something interesting. He found that the water levels in his bath tub rose as he got in and led to the discovery that the volume of an object could be measured by being submerged in water.
Or just use it as an excuse to have a bath!
15. Global Wind Day – Today is a worldwide event held annually on 15 June. It’s all about discovering wind energy, the power of wind and the possibilities it holds for our energy systems, ability to decarbonise our economies and boost growth and employment. Find out more on the official website.
Today is also Nature Photography Day. Celebrate nature photography with an image on your socials!
16. It’s also World Sea Turtle Day. Find out more on the official WWF website. It’s also National Fudge Day.
17. Apple Strudel Day – #AppleStrudelDay. Who doesn’t love a good Apple Strudel? Maybe share how to cook the perfect Apple Strudel on social media.
It’s also National Eat Your Vegetables (Veggies) Day. If you work in the areas of health or food, this might be a good topic to post about.
It’s also World Tapas Day held on the 17th June (3rd Thursday in June, annually). Yum! Share the origin story of these small Spanish plates of deliciousness.
18. International Picnic Day – Use the hashtag #internationalpicnicday to share your best picnic posts! It’s also International Sushi Day... so take your sushi on the picnic! #SushiDay. Share a recipe or maybe a creative GIF or image on your channels!
19. Garfield the Cat Day – Share some snarky Garfield humour from the lazy, lasagne-loving cat and use #garfieldthecat. Maybe your audience remembers Garfield from their childhood! You’re in luck on Garfield Day, because Garfield the Cat has his own official Giphy Channel with GIFs to share (make sure you share directly from Giphy).
Today is also Martini Day. Shaken or Stirred? Use the hashtag #NationalMartiniDay.
It’s also World Juggling Day #WorldJugglingDay held on the Saturday closest to June 17 (this year in 2021, it’s held on 19th June).
International Surfing Day is also held on the 3rd Saturday in June, this year on the 19th in 2021.
20. In 2021, it’s Father’s Day on 20th June in the US. Father’s Day falls on different days around the world #FathersDay. It falls on the 3rd Sunday in June, in the US.
20th June is also World WiFi day. Give thanks to the WiFi Gods today.
It’s also World Refugee Day – Use the hashtag #WorldRefugeeDay to bring awareness to the plight of refugees the world over, and some messages of hope! It’s also World Productivity Day for those businesses who might like to post some productivity tips. #WorldProductivityDay. Today is also World Tapas Day, celebrated on the third Thursday in June, annually.
If you post about productivity for business, today is the day to talk about that… because it’s World Productivity Day! Anyone else struggle with “The Last Minute Effect”?
21. It’s National Selfie Day – #NationalSelfieDay is a great day to post a selfie on your social channels.
It’s also the International Day of Yoga – find out more about it here. The United Nationals proclaimed the 21 June as the International Day of Yoga by resolution 69/131. Today is all about the ancient physical, mental and spiritual practice of Yoga, popular around the world. Originating in India, the word Yoga derives its meaning from the Sanskrit and means to join or unite (relating to the union of body and consciousness).
Originating in France it’s also Fête de la Musique 2021 or World Music Day or Make Music Day.
And don’t forget National Smoothie Day. A great day to whip up a new smoothie recipe and post about it or maybe ask your audience for their favorite recipe!
22. Chocolate Eclair Day – Today is all about the deliciousness of chocolate eclairs. That is all.
23. National Pink Day – #NationalPinkDay is all about pink. Which is timely really, as it’s also National Flamingo Day #FlamingoDay #PinkFlamingoDay.
24. Swim a Lap Day – #SwimALapDay – today is Swim-a-Lap Day. Share a swimming or fitness inspired piece of content, or maybe a quote like this one, inspired by swimming. Here’s a Canva template to help you:
It’s also International Fairy Day #FairyDay.
25. Global Beatles Day – #GlobalBeatlesDay is all about the Fab Four and their timeless music!
It’s also National Food Truck Day – The world has become obsessed with Food Trucks and all the amazing street food they offer. Use #FoodTruckDay. This is celebrated on the last Friday in June, annually.
And if you have a puppy, take it to work. It’s National Take Your Dog to Work Day.
26. Forgiveness Day – Quotes, Tips, Stories… anything about Forgiveness is a great thing to post today. #ForgivenessDay. Note: There’s also a Global Forgiveness Day on July 7… just to remind us, in case we forgot this month!
It’s also International Rosé Day for the wine lovers out there.
27. National Sunglasses Day – #SunglassesDay – the future’s so bright we’ve gotta wear shades and today’s a good day to post about all things Sunglasses. And it’s Pineapple Day. Sunglasses on Pineapples would be apt.
28. It’s also Paul Bunyan Day, the giant lumberjack from American Folklore.
29. National Camera Day – From Polaroids to Selfies to Drone Photography to quality DSLR shots… today is all about all things “camera”. Share a great photo using this fun Canva template:
30. Social Media Day – #SMDay started in 2010, launched by Mashable and has been held June 30 every year since, with events held around the world.
Want more Canva Templates?
Follow my Canva Creator Profile here on the Canva Marketplace – I’m one of the original invite-only creators for the Canva Marketplace and have hundreds of templates available for you to use with a Canva Pro Account. When you follow a Creator you see their recent templates on the Templates Home Page.
And remember, you can join Canva Pro free for 45 days, using this link:
Use this list of June month-long holidays to find week-long social media ideas:
- StepParents’ Week (annually for 7 days starting June 1).
- National Forgiveness Week (begins 1st Sunday in June)
- Teacher Thank You Week (first full week in June)
- Pat Appreciation Week (first full week of June)
- National Dairy Month
- National Men’s Health Month
- Great Outdoors Month
- National Rose Month
- National Soul Food Month
- Adopt-a-Cat Month
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month
- National Frozen Yoghurt Month
- International Men’s Month.
- International Year for the Elimination of Child Labour
- Internatinoal Year of Fruits and Vegetables
- International Year of Peace and Trust
Mobile Apps for Creating Video Content
Try this list of apps to help you create videos!
- Over – Over is a cool mobile design app that includes a lot of cool video templates. This is a great app – and in my opinion, the best mobile app – if you like creating visuals and video on your phone!
- InShot – a fabulous app for creating videos. It now has a Pro version that gives you loads of extra filters, effects and stickers. InShot has a lot of free features however, to get you started. Available on iOS and also on Android.
- Canva Mobile App – Canva’s mobile app is quite intuitive for starting or continuing your designs on a phone. Definitely get the app, even if you are only on a Free account. You can even create video with templates using the app.
Check out these video tools to help you create videos and GIFs using the dates above – on desktop:
- Wave.video – This is my go-to desktop video tool for creating easy-to-share social video with a huge libraries of templates, videos, photos and audio libraries. See more about Wave here.
- Crop.video – sometimes you need to change the orientation of a video and you need to do it quickly. This is where this tool comes in. It lets you reframe landscape videos to square and vertical in a snap… so that the resulting video is optimized for sharing on Instagram Stories or Facebook. It’s a handy desktop tool to have in your arsenal! Note: if you use Wave.video to create your videos in the first place, you probably won’t need this tool, as you can resize them all in
- Biteable – Biteable is another video tool that has fun animated video templates.
Want more Social Media Content Calendar ideas?
Check out our complete 12-month calendar for 2021 in this post:
You can check out our other monthly social media ideas posts so far for this year:
Over to You
Do you schedule your content ahead? What are your Favourite June Social Media holidays?
Donna is a Visual Content Strategist and founder of Socially Sorted, listed by Forbes as a “Top 5 Social Media Blog You Need to Know About in 2019”. Donna helps brands leverage the power of visual storytelling and content strategy in their business. Her content has been featured in publications such as Forbes and Entrepreneur Online and she is a contributor to Social Media Examiner. Donna speaks about digital and visual content for the marketing and tourism industries internationally.